The Human Rights Watch (HRW) has slammed Saudi Arabia’s targeting of civilians in Yemen, saying the kingdom and its supporters in the West have failed to provide answers over the killing of civilians in the impoverished country.
In a 73-page report issued on Friday, the HRW said Saudi fighter jets carried out at least 10 “apparently unlawful” airstrikes in Yemen between April and August 2015, killing 309 civilians and wounding another 414 people.
The report said neither Saudi Arabia nor the United States, which has provided intelligence and logistical assistance for the attacks, have launched an investigation into the civilian deaths in Yemen.
Washington has supported the deadly attacks, with its military units in the Middle East are providing intelligence to the Saudis on the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, who are known as the Houthis. Earlier this month, the US officials approved the sale of USD1.29 billion worth of bombs to renew Saudi Arabia’s arsenal.
The HRW report suggested that the attacks against the civilians had been deliberate and indiscriminate.